Yorkshire Terrier Physical Characteristics
Browse through these physical characteristics of this tiny dog:
- Average male and female weight – 3.08 lbs. (1.4 kg)
- Average male size at withers (base of the neck) – 6.69 inches (17 cm)
- Average female height at withers – 5.90 inches (15 cm)
- Coat length – long, straight hair
- Coat color – tan or blue
- Grooming needs – high
- The tiny size of this animal makes it ideal for keeping in an apartment.
- Yorkies get cold quickly, so it is necessary to provide them with a little dog jersey or keep them warm in front of a heater in the winter months.
- They have a high tendency to bark and a low tendency to drool or snore.
- Yorkies were originally bred to hunt vermin.
- Their lifespan ranges from 14 to 16 years.
Even though the Yorkshire Terrier is a tiny dog, it has some surprising personality traits, such as:
- It is a feisty animal.
- This dog tends to be domineering, although it is also affectionate.
- The Yorkie is an energetic dog, so you should be attentive to its physical needs to walk and play.
- It is tricky to house train this pet. Fortunately, its poop and pee are also tiny, making it easy to clean up.
The Yorkshire Terrier has its origins in England. It is a mixture of the Dandie Dinmont and Clydesdale terriers, the Maltese poodle, and the black and tan Manchester.