Wire fox terriers are a breed of dog originally developed in England. A common pet choice for families across the country, this type of canine was originally bred as a hunting dog. In fact, terriers as a whole were bred to hunt vermin such as rats and other rodents. Wire foxes, however, were specifically bred to hunt foxes. Today, this type of dog can typically be found enjoying home life with a loving family. They’re considered to be extremely affectionate, good with young children, and amiable with other dogs, all of which has contributed to their ongoing popularity as beloved pets.
Fun Facts about Wire Fox Terriers:
- The first of the breed arose in England in the late 1700s.
- They’re known for having high energy levels and being intelligent.
- A small breed, males generally weigh 17 to 19 pounds and females 15 to 17 pounds.
- The dog who played Snoopy in the movie Moonrise Kingdom was a wire fox terrier named Bella.
- The average lifespan of this breed is 10 to 14 years.
- Due to the wiry nature of their coats, these pups shed very little.
- Their personality is described as cheerful, playful, enthusiastic, and affectionate, and they’re known for being particularly loving towards children.
- The name “terrier” is derived from the Latin word terra, which means Earth.
- The color of their fur is black, black and tan, white and tan, or tricolor.
- Although little, these high energy dogs are capable of running at an average speed of 38 miles per hour!
Ohhhhh. This doggie is soooo cute a as Nd do you the article’s inflo this doggie is deff one to my top choices for when I am ready for another doggie IF I c as n get a rescue one! I need a living doggie enough has a long life span whom needs a home! My last doggie Snuggles was a Jack russel crossed with Chihuahua And was the absolute best doggie ever!