Today’s animal is the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. Its scientific name is Canis lupus familiaris.
This working dog originated in the Swiss Alps in Switzerland. The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is a general farm dog. They use these dogs for pulling heavy carts. The Greater Swiss Mountain dog moves herds of dairy cattle and makes excellent watchdogs. They are also known as good family dogs.
- Males are 26-28 inches tall and weigh up to 150 pounds. Females are 24-27 inches tall and weigh up to 130 pounds.
- They are considered an extra-large dog breed or giant.
- They live 8-11 years.
- They are tri-colored with white, black and a rust color.
The Greater Swiss Mountain dog temperament is listed as
- Good with children
- A strong bond with family
- They are smart and can problem-solve on their own, but training is required. The Greater Swiss Mountain dog is easy to train.
- These dogs are considered a rare breed in both Switzerland and the US.
- After the Swiss war, the breed was brought to America in 1968. There were only 350 to 400 dogs left in the world.
- The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog has a great amount of strength and can pull 3,000 pounds or more.
Beautiful dog. I would like to own one.
I’m animal lover.