The highly intelligent and hard-working Border Collie is athletic, agile and amiable. They are medium-sized herding dogs with an intense gaze. Border Collies are eager to please and love to cuddle at the end of the day.
- Border Collies are known as “intelligent workaholics,” and they thrive best when they are task-driven.
- They originated in Scotland; the word Collie in Scottish translates to “Sheepdog.”
- Border Collies are champion herding dogs. They are known for using their quick eyes and intense stares to manage the herd.
- They are good at breaking both intelligence and agility records.
- Border Collies make excellent search and rescue dogs.
- They are viewed as one of the smartest of all domesticated dogs.
- They have a medium coat which is most often black and white with other variations such as brown, tan or brindle.
- Border Collies need lots of play and exercise to stay healthy.
- They usually live between 12-15 years.
- There have been several famous Border Collies in movies and television.
Border Collies are good family dogs, with even temperament and a love of play. They are well-mannered and highly trainable. Because they are so smart, they also need a lot of mental stimulation to keep bad habits at bay. They need attention, affection and companionship. Border collies do well when they have room to run and can be part of the family. They are one of the most famous dogs in the world.
Our family is on its second border collie we love the dog they are fun they love being out side very playful and they protect there family awesome
I have two border collies. They are older now at 11 and 13 yrs old but have loved every minute with them. They are a wonderful breed. Don’t know how much time I have left with them but will definitely get another one someday. I am retired and hopefully will continue to stay healthy so I can enjoy one more border puppy in my lifetime.
I had Kalle Lua a pre bed border collie for 17 years. She was the most wonderful family member and is missed everyday.
On my way to dogsit for my friend’s Border Collie puppy in British Columbia! My friend in California had one that I adored, so I am well-qualified. Great breed!