The Australian Mist is a type of cat that was bred in Australia in the 1970s. This animal breed produced a short-haired cat with a spotted coat. Australian Mist cats are mid-sized because they’re bred as domestic pets.
Their small size and even-tempered personality make them the perfect lap cat. They are tolerant by nature and moderate. Australian Mist cats enjoy companionship, acting friendly around humans, even if they are visitors to a home.
Fun facts about Australian Mist cats
- Australian Mist cats are hybrids of Abyssinian, Burmese, and Moggy cats. It took Dr. Truda Straede, their creator, years to breed.
- It’s rare to find this breed outside of Australia, as most breeders remain in the country where the cat got developed.
- In their kitten phase, Australian Mist cats display liveliness and lots of playful energy. This tones down with age. By the time they reach adulthood, they become more patient and quiet.
- They come in seven colors: blue, brown, caramel, chocolate, gold, lilac, and peach. The background on their coats gives them a misty look, which is how they earned their name.
- Due to their mellow affectionate nature and natural craving for companionship, they get along well with children.
- These cats are medium-sized, weighing between 7-15 pounds and standing at 7-9 inches tall. Females are slightly smaller than males.
- Australian Mist cats live between 15-18 years.